That's me, I'm him...

DISCLAIMER: Although I am a car guy this is not solely a car blog. I will talk cars, but this is also a blog about how I view the world. Just ask my mom and she will tell you my first word was "car". I do have a slight fascination with them. Luckily I have a supportive family and a very understanding wife...

Monday, April 12, 2010

Crossmember dismemberment...

One thing I was never really fond of in my F100 was the powersteering rack and crossmember the previous owner installed. Although it seemed to function around town ok I am not sure how it would have handled at higher speeds or long distances.

Another drawback was it was just a POOR fabrication job and looked hideous.

Well with the motor out of the way for the time being I decided to trim a little excess weight off the front end.

Here's what I started with. Forgot to take a shot of the steering column hooked up though:

Photobucket

A little cutting with a sawzall:

Photobucket

Pull it out:

Photobucket

Factory tie-rod back in:

Photobucket

Mocking up a stock steering box:

Photobucket

Some people's fab and bodywork ROCKS!

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Traffic Report